How to Get Rid of Mould on Walls with Bleach
6th February 2017
Can I Get Rid of Mould on Walls With Bleach?
The answer is yes. The chlorine in bleach, is what makes it so effective at killing mould. You might choose to use bleach instead of a bottle of spray like the recommended HG Mould Spray or Astonish Mould & Mildew Remover. The reason for this, is that you might be far from a shop and are in a rush. Or maybe you just don’t require such a large quantity of mould remover.
Step in the makeshift mould remover.
The reason, this is a makeshift solution, is because you’re likely to have bleach already laying around your home. As you’ll know, it’s usually used for bathroom cleaning. Bleach, will offer similar qualities to the paid for mould removing sprays. It will neutralise the spores and allergens upon any non-porous surface. This means surfaces that are not brick and mortar painted walls. Using on a painted wall is not a no-go, but the recommended surface to use this on are the following: rubber sealant, tiles, laminated work surfaces.
Here are the steps you should take to get rid of mould on walls with bleach.
- Make sure that no one is planning to sleep in the room you are working on for at least 4 hours after you have completed the work. The toxins from the mould are likely to be circulating after being disturbed. The high concentration of the bleach is also not good to breathe in. It can cause headaches, especially when combined with fungi.
- With the last point in mind, be sure to open any windows. This will keep the air clear whilst you are working.
- Use protective gloves at all times when handling the solution.
- To make up the solution add around 1 cup of bleach to 4 litres of water. Carefully pour in to a bottle with a spray nozzle. This is important, so that the chlorine is distributed evenly around the affected area.
- Spray from about 40cm away. Do not spray multiple times on the same area. If you’re spraying on a non-porous surface this is especially important because it could just cause the mould to return.
- If you’re working on a painted wall, it does work. But be careful not to rub the area as it is likely to remove the paint work.
You can see other hints and tips on how to get rid of mould here.