What are the Health Problems Caused by Black Mould?
17th September 2017
Having black mould in your home is not just costly but can also be dangerous to your health. This is especially true when faced with infestations of toxic black mould. Understanding the common indications can help keep you and the entire family safe.
Most Common Complaints from Black Mould
While there are many health issues that can result from black mould, here are the most common.
- Mental Symptoms – tremors, personality disorders, mood swings
- Respiratory Symptoms – irritation and burning in nasal cavity, throat and mouth as well as issues with the lungs
- Circulatory Symptoms – irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, vomiting up blood
- Vision Symptoms – red, bloodshot eyes, blurry vision, jaundice
- Skin Symptoms – dermatitis, itchy skin, jaundice
- Reproductive Symptoms – infertility, impotence, miscarriage, foetal development issues
- Other Symptoms – hair loss, weight loss, hearing loss, coma, death
Are These Effects Permanent?
Once a person removes themselves from the black mould, most of the symptoms will gradually disappear. Some health problems could remain for a lifetime, so it is not something to hesitate on repairing.
Is Your Home at Risk?
Toxic black mould will release spores that feed on common household materials such as drywall, insulation, carpet or sub-flooring. This is especially true if any of these materials become exposed to moisture.
Once these spores get ingested or inhaled, the symptoms will begin. To tell if you could be battling black mould, look for these indicators:
- Musty, earthy smell much like dirt and rotting leaves
- Excessive moisture around on or on the building materials
- Dark rings on walls
Removing Black Mould
Having black mould removed can be a costly adventure. There are times when you might be able to do it yourself.
The only times that you would want to consider doing the project alone would be if the mould was caused by condensation. In addition, it also needs to cover an area less than one metre squared. Otherwise, if the mould was created by contaminated water or sewage, do not attempt to remove it yourself.
- Protect yourself from the spores by wearing protective gear. This should include goggles, a mask and long, rubber gloves.
- Open all the windows, but keep the door to the room closed to avoid spores from spreading to other rooms.
- Don’t try to remove the mould yourself if it’s caused by sewage or other contaminated water.
- Use a plastic bag to remove any furnishings, clothing or soft toys. These should be professionally cleaned.
- Fill a bucket with water and gentle detergent. Use a rag and dip it into the soapy water. Then, carefully wipe the black mould off the wall. Do not scrub or brush it as this can release more spores.
- Use a dry rag to remove any moisture on the wall. Put all the rags into a plastic bag and discard.
- Finally, clean everything in the room with a wet rag or vacuum.
Black mould is nothing you want to mess around with and can be life threatening to you and your loved ones. Understanding the seriousness of the spores should make you want to take action quickly. If in doubt, contact a professional for help. To prevent future mould occurrences, invest in a quality dehumidifier to reduce condensation in the home.